Follow us

Scotland’s fortnightly political & current affairs magazine

Subscribe

Subscribe to Holyrood
Almost a third of No voters changed their minds since 2014, polls finds

Press Association

Almost a third of No voters changed their minds since 2014, polls finds

Almost a third of those who voted against Scottish independence in 2014 have changed their minds, according to a new poll from Progress Scotland.

The survey, composed of 2,093 people, found that 19 per cent of No voters now say they do not know how they would vote in another referendum while 13 per cent now back independence.

Of those who voted for independence, eight per cent would now vote against and nine per cent are unsure.

Excluding those who do not know how they would vote,  53 per cent of respondents supported leaving the union compared with 47 per cent against.

Of those who expressed an opinion, 56 per cent would support a second referendum following a pro-independence majority at the 2021 election, compared to 44 per cent who would be opposed.

Progress Scotland’s managing director and former SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson said: “This poll shows how much opinion is changing in Scotland towards Scottish independence.

“After a series of sustained opinion poll findings indicating majority support for independence, this large poll demonstrates the scale of the momentum and the factors which are driving people from No to Yes.

“It is extremely striking that the highest-ever percentage of voters in Scotland now believe that there would be a Yes victory if a referendum were held tomorrow and that one-third of 2014 No voters have changed their minds to Yes or are not sure how they would vote.”

Stay in the know with our fortnightly magazine

Stay in the know with our fortnightly magazine

Subscribe

Popular reads
Back to top