Follow us

Scotland’s fortnightly political & current affairs magazine

Subscribe

Subscribe to Holyrood
by Jenni Davidson
18 June 2021
All adults in Scotland now expected to receive first dose of COVID vaccine by 18 July

Vaccination - Image credit: Adobe stock

All adults in Scotland now expected to receive first dose of COVID vaccine by 18 July

All over-18s in Scotland are now expected to receive the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine by 18 July, the First Minister has announced.

Speaking at today’s lunchtime briefing, Nicola Sturgeon said there had been “really rapid progress” on the rollout among younger age groups and they were making “faster progress than we thought might be possible just even a few weeks ago”.

The target had previously been to offer every adult a first dose of the vaccine by the end of July.

All 18-29-year-olds should receive details of their appointment by the end of next week.

The First Minister encouraged anyone who had not received a letter by next weekend to use the appointment checker page on the NHS Inform website.

Those who can’t make the appointment they have been given can also go there to change it.

Second doses of the vaccine have also been brought forward, with the gap between doses now reduced from 12 weeks to eight weeks.

Sturgeon emphasised the importance of getting both doses, saying that two doses offer “substantially more protection” than just one.

“Vaccines are the way back to normality, she said. “I think we are increasingly confident of that.”

The First Minister noted that the vaccine seemed to be weakening the link between rising case numbers and rising hospitalisations.

However, because a “sizeable proportion” of the population is still not fully vaccinated, she said it was “unlikely” that any part of the country would be moved down a level when she makes her next update to parliament on Tuesday.

Tuesday will also see the publication of the Scottish Government’s strategic framework for moving beyond level 0.

Some changes to travel restrictions were also announced at the briefing.

Bans on travel to Bedford and the Republic of Ireland have been lifted – although under the Republic of Ireland’s rules, any Scot who travels there would have to quarantine on arrival.

But a new restriction means that from Monday Scots will not be allowed to travel to Manchester or Salford due to the rising numbers of cases in those areas.

Read the most recent article written by Jenni Davidson - The Holyrood baby: More likely to live in poverty now than the day she was born

Tags

Health

Stay in the know with our fortnightly magazine

Stay in the know with our fortnightly magazine

Subscribe

Popular reads
Back to top