Donald Trump thrown out of Scots business network

Written by Alan Robertson and Emilio Casalicchio on 9 December 2015 in News

US presidential hopeful sparked outrage by calling for a "complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States"

Donald Trump has been kicked out of a worldwide network for business professionals with Scottish connections after the presidential hopeful said Muslims should be refused entry to the United States.

The US tycoon, who was invited to join the GlobalScot network in 2006, has called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on”.

His comments, which followed a mass shooting in San Bernadino, have attracted condemnation from across the political spectrum with calls for a boycott of Trump’s Scottish hotels and golf courses.

GlobalScot was started by Scottish Enterprise in 2001 as a network of business leaders, entrepreneurs and executives with a connection to Scotland that could help support homegrown companies compete internationally.

An attempt to have the former presenter of The Apprentice US removed from GlobalScot failed in 2012. However, Nicola Sturgeon has decided that the business tycoon’s latest outburst justifies his withdrawal.

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: “Mr Trump’s recent remarks have shown that he is no longer fit to be a business ambassador for Scotland and the First Minister has decided his membership of the respected GlobalScot business network should be withdrawn with immediate effect.”

Green MSP Patrick Harvie lodged a motion at Holyrood in February 2012 calling for his membership to be revoked amid claims the Scottish Government had been "deeply misguided in its previous dealings with Mr Trump".

The motion noted "the threat from Donald Trump not only to fund a private campaign against renewable energy in Scotland, but also to use the courts to delay what it believes to be the vital European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre".

Meanwhile, the Chancellor George Osborne has rejected calls for Trump to be banned from entering the UK after a petition on doing so reached 100,000 signatures - making it eligible for debate in parliament.

During Prime Minister’s Question SNP MP ​Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh asked if the Government will step in and ban Mr Trump from entering the UK.

Standing in for David Cameron, Osborne replied: “I think the best way to confront the views of someone like Donald Trump is to engage in a robust, democratic argument about why he is profoundly wrong... rather than trying to ban presidential candidates.”

Tags

Categories

Related Articles

Theresa May tells Tory MPs to back Brexit plan or see UK crash out of the EU without a deal
17 September 2018

Asked what would happen if MPs voted down a deal with the EU in Parliament, May said: "I think that the alternative to that will be having no deal."

Newspapers that have refused to give their content away for free are reaping the rewards
11 September 2018

Those who have embraced the digital revolution probably won’t notice the difference as Sunday Herald is replaced by a seven-day Herald

Theresa May to commit over £100m to low emission vehicle technology
11 September 2018

The Prime Minister will unveil a funding boost for research and development into green vehicles, new batteries and low carbon products

Shetland recommended as location for ultra-deep water decommissioning port
11 September 2018

Shetland looks set to get more oil and gas decommissioning work after it was identified as the top location for an ultra-deep water port

Related Sponsored Articles

Share this page