Effective Contract Management: Preparation, Principles and Practice
This briefing will examine how organisations can best manage the life-cycle of contracts to improve financial and operational performance.
Creating value and driving improved performance through contract management
- Britain spent £251.5 billion pounds, or a third of total government spend, through external suppliers, according to National Audit Office estimates.
- Public sector spending on goods and services across Scotland amounts to around £11 billion per year. Source: Scottish Government
Effective contract management is a key process which reduces inefficiencies and creates value for an organisation.
Recent high-profile outsourcing failures have illustrated the fundamental importance of good contract management in enabling organisations to deliver their financial and operational objectives.
Attend this Holyrood briefing to get an up-to-date brief on how your organisation can improve its procurement processes, relationship management and performance.
Key issues we’ll examine with you
- The latest developments in procurement and contract models
- Effective contract management principles, techniques and how to apply them in your setting
- Examples of successful and innovative contract management practice, across sectors
Who will benefit from attending?
Attendees will be drawn from (but not limited to): procurement, finance, legal, operations, construction, asset and facilities management, service commissioning and provision.
09:15 Registration and Refreshments
10:00 Welcome and Introduction by the Chair
Kate Connor, Director, Kate Connor Consulting
10:05 Session 1: Getting Contract Management Right
- Overview of modern procurement and supply management options
- Up-to-date brief on the market environment, risk and how to navigate it successfully
- Improving procurement knowledge, decision making, processes and efficiencies
- Costs and benefits of the different approaches in contracts
- Learning lessons from past experiences gone wrong
Hugh Carr, Head of Strategic Procurement, Scotland Excel
11:05 Questions and Discussion
11:30 Refreshments and Networking
11:50 Session 2: Improving Your Approach and Process: Procuring to avoid failure scenarios
- Contract structuring to avoid contract manipulation to achieve profit
- Managing risk
- Future proofing your supply chain
- Sub-contacting: regulations and tools
- Ongoing monitoring and evaluation of contracts
Robin Fallas, Partner, MacRoberts LLP
12:30 Questions and Discussion
12:40 Lunch and Networking
13:30 Session 3: Good Practice in Managing Contracts
- A series of inputs will share learning and insights from organisations, across sectors, who are creating value and driving improved performance through good contract management
David MacDonald, National hub Programme Director, Scottish Futures Trust
13:55 The Supply Chain perspective of Contract Management
- Introduction and context
- Principles and best practice
- Common conflicts
Andrew Crawford, Supply Chain Regional Lead, EDF Energy
14:30 Questions and Discussion
14:55 Summary by the Chair
15:00 Close of Event
*Agenda subject to change
NASUWT, 35 Young Street N. Lane, Edinburgh EH2 4JD | Map
Delegate rates (excluding VAT):
- Reduced rate: 1 place £145 + VAT (Voluntary / charitable organisations with an annual income of less than £1m)
- Standard rate: 1 place £245 + VAT | 2+ places £195 + VAT (Central government departments and agencies, local authorities, universities, colleges, NHS, police, housing associations, professional associations and voluntary / charitable organisations with an annual income over £1m)
- Private Sector rate: 1 place £295 + VAT | 2+ places £245 + VAT (Commercial organisations e.g. plc, Ltd, LLP)
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0131 285 1635