In 2018, Scotland articulated its vision to for a wellbeing economy in its National Performance Framework. It also established the Wellbeing Economy Governments Group alongside Iceland and New Zealand. The purpose was to challenge the acceptance of GDP as the ultimate measure of a country’.
A wellbeing economy considers everything from health and education outcomes to rights and access to fair works, prosperity to inclusive growth and sustainability as signifiers of success.
As an attendee of this event you will analyse how Scotland can reconcile its declining global wellbeing rankings with the Government’s aspirations to lead the world on the wellbeing economy agenda. We’ll look at how we can address the decline, restore our position and start building on this.
09:30 Registration and Refreshments
10:25 Welcome and Introduction from the Chair
Session 1: Context – Wellbeing Economy
The Wellbeing Economy; based on the strategic challenges we face at home and abroad, in our communities and our wider world; gives precedence to the delivery of social justice combined with environmental health (of people and the planet). Although economic growth is important, it ought not to be the sole yardstick of success. Our thought leaders will elaborate on this, ensuring a thorough and rigorous understanding of the concept.
10:30 Senior representative, Think Tank
10:45 Senior representative, Central Government
11:00 Senior representative, Local Authority
11:20 Questions and Discussion
Interactive session: This peer-to-peer learning exercise will allow delegates to interact, discuss problems and issues they’ve come across and offer solutions in an open forum. This will generate further discussion for the designated Question and Discussion sessions.
12:15 Refreshments and Networking
Session 2: Calibrating City Region and Growth Deals as a mechanism for Delivery of Inclusive Growth, Sustainability and Wider Wellbeing Outcomes
- Although City Region and Growth Deals have key mechanism to the Government working together with local authorities and other partners to deliver inclusive growth, there is no plan in place for measuring overall success and determining how cost effective they are. Does the NPF and wellbeing agenda provide an opportunity to join-up national outcomes and recalibrate what they are for?
- CERG recommended the 4 new Green City Deals announced in the Programme for Government be integrated into existing City and Growth Deals. Is there scope to focus them towards the ‘sustainability’ aspect of the wellbeing agenda and net-zero emissions targets?
- Following recent the publication of Regional Skills Assessments by Skills Development Scotland, what is the industry’s demand for skills and City Deals’ skills acquisition, educational and wider workforce mobilisation outcomes?
- Labour Market Access in impeding inclusive growth. How can City Deals and the new National Transport Strategy close this gap while Scotland continues to meet its climate emergency policy aspirations?
12:35 Senior representative, Audit
12:55 Senior representative, City Deals
13:05 Senior representative, Environment
13:15 Senior representative, Other Jurisdiction
13:25 Questions and Discussion
14:05 Lunch and Networking
Session 3: Overcoming Challenges and Budgeting For Implementing Policy Shift to Wellbeing
- Budgeting for wellbeing in a time of local authority and wider public sector financial constraint
- Dealing with short-termism; a resistance to change and operational, tactical and strategic competing priorities between partners
- Securing the involvement of communities to ensure local buy-in
- Working alongside and collaborating with business to deliver this agenda over the long-term
15:05 Senior representative, Community
15:15 Senior representative, Business
15:35 Questions and Discussion
15:55 Closing Remarks from Chair
16:00 Close of Event
*Agenda subject to change
Book now or email or call Adam on 01312851692
If you have an inspiring case study or a project that you think is relevant, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We are always on the lookout for new speakers.