Next Steps for Growing Scotland's Social Enterprise Sector
Ahead of a Scottish Government census of the social enterprise sector, due to be carried out in Summer 2019, this event will examine key challenges facing social enterprises and provide practical guidance on accessing funding and bidding for contracts.
Addressing social needs and strengthening communities
Social enterprises contribute £2 billion to Scotland’s economy and employ around 80,000 people, whilst also tackling a multitude of social issues.
Building on the creation of a Cross-Party Group on Social Enterprise, within the Scottish Parliament in 2018, the Scottish Government has announced that it will double seed funding for social enterprise start-ups and conduct a national census of the sector in summer 2019, in order to maintain Scotland’s place as a world-leader in social enterprise.
Yet many social enterprises still face significant barriers to growth including difficulty accessing funding and navigating complicated procurement processes.
Join Holyrood on 26 February as we take an in depth look at these issues and potential solutions. You’ll hear from a range of expert speakers from across Scotland, and have the opportunity to take part in practical, interactive discussion with delegates from across social enterprise, central and local government and the third sector.
- Ian Marr, Chief Executive, The Growth Partnership
- Ailsa Clark, Development Manager, InspirAlba
- Celia Hodson, Founder, Hey Girls
- Bridie Ashrowan, Chief Executive, Broomhouse Centre
- Councillor (TBC), City of Edinburgh Council
Key issues we’ll examine with you
- Up-to-date brief on the latest developments within social enterprise, including a scrutiny of Scotland’s Social Enterprise Strategy 2016-2026
- Examine support, opportunities and innovative practice to enhance operations, impact and sustainability
- Improving partnership working and CSR opportunities
- Adapting to the changes and challenges ahead for social enterprises, and opportunities to drive innovation and entrepreneurship
- Raising awareness of your social enterprise to increase funding opportunities, including hand-to-mouth funding
- Sharing learning a good practice with established and new social enterprises of new and existing business model
10:30 Registration and Refreshments
11:00 Welcome and Introduction from Chair
Alex Stobart, Director Scotland, Mydex CIC and Board Member, Social Enterprise Scotland
11:05 Session 1: Current Policy and Challenges for the Sector
- Overview and scrutiny of Scotland’s Social Enterprise Strategy 2016-2026
- Discussion of key challenges facing social enterprise
11:20 Presentation (one of your existing speakers on challenges they have faced)
11:35 Presentation (as above)
11:50 Roundtable Discussion
Delegates will lead the discussion and identify key opportunities and challenges going forward, and the key learning outcomes that they would like to take away from the day.
13:15 Refreshments and Networking
14:00 Session 2: Learning from Good Practice and Next Steps
- Sharing learning and good practice with established and new social enterprises of new and existing business models
- Practical guidance on accessing funding and navigating the procurement process
14:00 People Focused Finance
- Consistent cashflow
- Flexible service provision
- Partnership across Public, Private and Social sectors
- Embedding local social capital
Ian Marr, Chief Executive, The Growth Partnership
15:00 Questions and Discussion
15:25 Closing Remarks from Chair
15:30 Close of Event
*Agenda subject to change
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 3 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.