Next Steps for Growing Scotland's Social Enterprise Sector
This event will scrutinise how to ensure that social enterprises are sustainable and to examine and provide practical guidance for funding, granting, bidding and procurement opportunities for the sector.
Addressing social needs and strengthening communities
Social enterprises serve as a more inclusive way of doing business, embracing change and finding new avenues for social improvement.
Contributing £1.68 million to the Scottish economy, and supporting over 100,000 jobs, our social enterprise sector is crucial to becoming a more innovative and entrepreneurial society. To drive forward this growth, the Scottish Parliament has approved the creation of a Cross-Party Group on Social Enterprise, ensuring Scotland remains a world leader in social enterprise development.
Social enterprises further have the potential to tackle the tough social issues. So how can we strengthen and sustain our social enterprise sector more effectively, and with greater funding, procurement and achieve success in bidding opportunities?
Join Holyrood on the 11 December as we examine these issues in depth and take a practical, interactive approach to examine how to develop, sustain and grow Scotland’s social enterprise sector.
Key issues we’ll examine with you
- Up-to-date brief on the latest developments within social enterprise, including a scrutiny of Scotland’s Social Enterprise Strategy 2016-2026
- Examine support, opportunities and innovative practice to enhance operations, impact and sustainability
- Improving partnership working and CSR opportunities
- Adapting to the changes and challenges ahead for social enterprises, and opportunities to drive innovation and entrepreneurship
- Raising awareness of your social enterprise to increase funding opportunities, including hand-to-mouth funding
- Sharing learning a good practice with established and new social enterprises of new and existing business model
09:30 Registration and Refreshments
10:00 Welcome and Introduction from Chair
Alex Stobart, Director Scotland, Mydex CIC and Board Member, Scottish Social Enterprise
10:05 Session 1: Policy and Overview
- Scrutiny of Scotland’s Social Enterprise Strategy 2016-2026
- Overview of Social Enterprise in Scotland
11:00 Roundtable Discussion
Delegates will lead the discussion and identify key opportunities and challenges going forward, and the key learning outcomes that they would like to take away from the day.
11:20 Refreshments and Networking
11:40 Session 2: Barriers to Development
There are a number of obstacles to development for the social enterprise sector. In this session we will explore:
- Support, opportunities and innovative practice to enhance operations, impact and sustainability
- Drive innovation and entrepreneurship
- Funding shortfalls and regulatory difficulties
- Navigating the bid process
12:20 Questions and Discussion
12:50 Lunch and Networking
13:50 Session 3: Learning from Good Practice and Next Steps
- Sharing learning a good practice with established and new social enterprises of new and existing business models
14:50 Questions and Discussion
15:20 Closing Remarks from Chair
15:30 Close of Event
*Agenda subject to change