Kirsty in Adversity: Getting It Right For Every Child
Kirsty, the fictional Holyrood baby, has turned three and she is facing adversity. This event is about the challenges facing Kirsty and her family. It examines solutions to improving awareness of where families can turn for support when they are facing adversity and how services can improve multi-agency delivery. How do we ‘get it right for every child’?
Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC)
Born as MSPs took their seats for the start of the Scottish Parliament’s fifth session, Kirsty lives in one of Scotland’s most deprived communities with her mother, Caley. Kirsty and Caley should benefit from the Scottish Government’s flagship policy, GIRFEC, which is intended to support families by making sure children and young people receive the right help, at the right time, from the right people.
But services can appear fragmented, with families often unaware of where to turn for help, and staff and resource shortages resulting in families missing key touchpoints with services – points where warning signs may have been flagged.
Kirsty is one of the 26% of children from deprived areas that has at least one developmental concern identified by her health visitor. When she begins school, her circumstances make it more likely that she will be part of the 22% of Scottish children assessed as vulnerable. Solutions to these challenges must be found if we are to get it right for every child. Kirsty’s future is in our hands.
Join us to hear from experts and policymakers as we ask, how do we 'get it right for every child'?
Why come to this event?
- Hear from outstanding experts and policymakers directly involved with GIRFEC
- Your chance to question the people that matter
- Join the conversation in an interactive roundtable discussion
- Network with colleagues and share innovative approaches to ensuring we get it right for every child
Who should attend?
- Staff working in children’s services
- Social workers
- NHS staff
- Head teachers and deputy heads
- Local elected representatives
- Local authority education and children’s services professionals
9.45 Registration and Refreshments
10.30 Welcome and Introduction from the Chair
10.35 Session 1: Kirsty in Adversity
- The reality of life for a child growing up in a deprived area
- Barriers to accessing available support
- Policy context: GIRFEC
- The challenges that Kirsty has faced so far
10.35 Expert speaker
10.55 Expert speaker
11.25 Refreshments and Networking
11.45 Session 2: The Challenges You Face in Getting it Right for Every Child
11.45 The Solution Room
This interactive workshop is designed to provide peer-supported advice on your most pressing problems in delivering on GIRFEC. You will have five minutes to think of a challenge you are facing. Participants will then be divided into groups and each person's challenge will be brainstormed by your group in seven-minute cycles.
12.40 Facilitated Q&A with an Expert Speaker
This section is built on top of the solution room. Any questions that come out of the solution room will be put to our expert speaker.
13.00 Lunch and Networking
13.45 Session 3: Getting it Right for Kirsty
- Being brave enough to change the history of practice
- Genuine collaboration across agencies
- Raising awareness of support services
- Early intervention
14.05 Expert speaker
14.25 Expert speaker
14.55 Closing Remarks from the Chair
15.00 Close of Event
*The agenda is subject to change
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 2 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.
Central Edinburgh, to be confirmed in due course.
Delegate rates (excluding VAT):
- Reduced rate: 1 place £145 + VATpp (Voluntary/charitable organisations with an annual income of less than £1m)
- Standard rate: 1 place £245 + VAT | 2+ places £195 + VAT per place (Central government departments and agencies, local authorities, universities, colleges, NHS, police, professional associations and voluntary/charitable organisations with an annual income over £1m)
- Private Sector rate: 1 place £295 + VAT | 2+ places £245 + VAT per place (Commercial organisations e.g. plc, Ltd, LLP)
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0131 285 1635