Investigation into Michelle Thomson's property deals dropped

Written by Tom Freeman and Emilio Casalicchio on 2 August 2017 in News

A case involving former Edinburgh MP Michelle Thomson's property deals has been dropped after insufficient evidence was found

Michelle Thomson - Holyrood

A former SNP MP will not take part in criminal proceedings over allegations of mortgage fraud, after the case was dropped due to insufficient evidence.

Michelle Thomson, who was never charged and has always denied any wrongdoing, said she had been “completely exonerated”.

The ex-Edinburgh West MP gave up the whip in 2015 after police launched an investigation into “alleged irregularities relating to property deals” involving her and four others after her solicitor had been struck off by the Law Society for professional misconduct.


RELATED CONTENT


She was subsequently deselected by the SNP ahead of the general election in June this year and decided not to stand as an independent.

But the Crown Office has decided not to pursue criminal proceedings due to an absence of “sufficient credible and reliable evidence”.

Thomson said: "Yesterday I received news from the Crown Office that confirmed I have been completely exonerated by the police investigation into a solicitor I used in 2010.

"I am eternally grateful to my SNP colleagues in Westminster who supported me so strongly throughout this time.

"I also thank Police Scotland and the Crown Office for their courtesy and professionalism."

She added: "I made clear before I entered politics that I wished to use my skills, drive and experience to help shape a better Scotland, and that desire remains as strongly as it did when I became very involved in the 2014 independence referendum.

"However, for the time being this will need to take a different form. I now intend to take a few days of reflection to consider my next steps."

A Crown Office spokeperson said: "The procurator fiscal received a report concerning four men aged 48, 56, 59 and 59, and one woman aged 51, in relation to alleged incidents between June 16 2010 and July 26 2011.

"After careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of the case, Crown counsel concluded there was an absence of sufficient credible and reliable evidence and there should be no criminal proceedings at this time."

Tags

Tags

Related Articles

Share this page