Building Regulations In Scotland – Ensuring People’s Safety
This briefing will consider building regulations, laws and how to implement them to ensure people’s safety.
Recent high profile and tragic incidents have demonstrated the fundamental importance of buildings being safe and healthy places for people to live, work, learn, be in or around.
With the Scottish Parliament’s Local Government and Communities Committee expanding their inquiry into housing and building regulations, how can we make our built environment as secure as possible?
This essential briefing will examine the law, regulations and practice in ensuring the safety of people in and about Scotland’s buildings.
Key learning objectives
- Get an up-to-date brief on the latest building safety regulations, how to comply and meet requirements
- Understand your role, responsibilities and legal duties in meeting safety standards
- Examine good practice, implementation of standards and consider solutions with experts and peers
09:15 Registration and refreshments
10:00 Welcome and introduction by the Chair
10:05 Session 1: Building Standards In Scotland
- Overview on the current building standards system in Scotland
- Update on recent review of Building Standards Performance Framework for Verifiers
- Understanding roles, responsibilities and legal duties
- Fire safety guidance and prevention measures
- Ensuring regulations are properly implemented
- Technical guidance to ensure buildings are safe, efficient and sustainable
- Improving customer engagement and compliance with the building regulations
10:05 Bill Dodds, Head of Building Standards, Scottish Government
10.25 Why the Need for Fire Safety?
- SFRS background
- Legal duties in meeting safety standards
Mike Smith, National Fire Safety Enforcement Officer and Watch Manager, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
10:45 Building Regulations: Lessons and ideas from other regulatory regimes
Lessons and ideas from other regulatory regimes, including:
- health & safety
Robin Hutchison, Partner, CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
11:05 Questions and Discussion
11:35 Refreshments and Networking
11:55 Session 2: Workshop Seminar
- Taking advantage of the learning from the morning, collective knowledge, experience and expertise in the room, attendees will lead the discussions by identifying the key issues, challenges and solutions to improve the effective operation of the building standards system.
13:00 Lunch and Networking
13:50 Session 3: Good Practice Seminar
- A series of inputs will provide learning and insights into exemplar building standards performance to take back to your setting.
15:00 Close of Event
*Agenda subject to change
NASUWT, 35 Young Street North Lane, Edinburgh | Map
Delegate rates (excluding VAT)
- Discounted rate: 1 place £145 + VAT (Voluntary / charitable organisations with an annual income of less than £1m)
- Reduced rate: 1 place £245 + VAT | 2+ places £195 + VAT (Central government departments and agencies, local authorities, universities, colleges, NHS, police, professional associations and voluntary / charitable organisations with an annual income over £1m)
- Full rate: 1 place £295 + VAT | 2+ places £245 + VAT (Commercial organisations e.g. plc, Ltd, LLP)
For more information please email email@example.com or phone 0131 285 1635